Friday, May 22, 2009

Cue the Angry Villagers...

Remember being young, and after a long hot summer full of adventure and mischief, remember actually being excited about going back to school? I do. That magical first day, decked out in my brand new school clothes, holding tightly to my satchel, filled with shiny unused pencils, crisp and colorful construction paper and best of all, the Deluxe Crayola 64 Pack of Crayons with built-in sharpener. The smell of a freshly opened box still fills my soul with such glee, and inside, seeing for the first time, the Uber-Rainbow of impossible colors, standing tall and proudly pointed, equal in possibilities, and with no favorites. For a brief moment, Blue is no better than Pale Yellow.

The first day, a fresh beginning and anything can happen.

After being away from the restaurant for 6 months, tonight was my first day back. Like first days of the past, I had on my brand new black pants and white shirt. A crisp white apron and crumb-free crummer completed the ensamble. My doctor had concerns about me starting work so soon after getting out. He felt I should take a little more time to adjust, but I wanted to start working again, to try and be normal again. He assured the higher-ups I posed no threat to anyone, and reluctantly, they allowed me back.

I wondered if the other waiters knew where I had been all this time, if they knew what had happened, and as I flung open the doors and caught the unmistakable glare coming from my, obviously now, former friends, all questions in my very quiet head had loudly been answered. So many new faces dotted among the old ones, unrecognizable eyes and noses and mouths, but by the looks they gave me, they all seemed identical.

They all remembered what I did, and those who didn't remember were told. As I looked around the room for just one friendly face, no one in particular, I noticed the screaming absence of one particular face...Sophia. I new she no longer worked at the restaurant, but I was still surprised not to see her. I don't blame her for leaving. I just wish I could tell her...try and explain...say I was sorry. My doctor says not to contact her. I'm sure he's right...for now. But for now, I need to learn the new menu and wine list and get myself back to the way I was. Look beyond all the stares and see the truth - it's the first day, a fresh beginning and anything can happen.

1 comment: