Thursday, May 21, 2009

Little Darling, it's Been a Long Cold Lonely Winter...

Tommy's back, or should I say, put back...safe once again where he belongs, behind the wooden door with the rusted hinges and the old metal circle latch. I still hear him sometimes tapping, whispering softly at night, begging to be set free, but I'm getting stronger now. My thoughts, once diluted by his, are slowly floating their way back together with renewed coherency. What I see is no longer tangled with what he shows me...rinsed clean in Johnson's Baby Shampoo...no more tears. He's fine now, quiet now...for now.

It's been a long 6 months, at least that's what people tell me. I truly have no idea. I remember yesterday, it was Christmas. I remember being very cold. I remember loud music coming from Shit-Head's apartment across the hall. I remember his laugh. I remember just wanting some quiet. I don't remember kicking in the door, but my broken foot does. They said I was sitting alone in Shit-Head's apartment, or what used to be Shit-Head's apartment, before he moved out 2 months earlier. Fresh snow piled high by the cold radiator and broken glass windows. Did I do that. No. Tommy. Not me. He's gone now, and now I know there was no music, no noise but the clamoring in my own head. Needless to say, when I got out, I moved to a new building.

I live with a girl named Heather-Mary. She's a wonderful person, she's a lovely person, and she's sitting right behind me, reading everything I am writing. She has a wonderful laugh. She's kind enough to let me use her computer and in return, I help with her correspondence to a variety of "gentlemen". She just asked why I put gentlemen in quotes. She knows why.

I'm still waiting tables at the same restaurant. They were kind enough to take me back. Even with everything that happened, which I will get to later. But for now, right now, things are good. With help from my old friends Thorazine and Haldol, I'm actually pretty positive about the future. Heck, I'm even taking a class at the Learning Annex. French. It's a pretty language. And also, it might be a good idea to understand what Heather-Mary's cat has been saying to me these past couple days. It could be important.

Oh, and by the way, my name is Paul-David.

1 comment:

  1. Sebastian GoodnightMay 21, 2009 at 12:20 PM

    Welcome back! Can't wait to read dispatches about Tommy, er, Paul-David, Heather-Mary, and all the other characters with two hyphenated first names.

    ReplyDelete